Saturday, December 24, 2005

Those parenting books are WRONG

I clicker train my dog. It has worked wonders. It's a wonderful system of positive reinforcement. Sure, it involves treats, but the only time that he consistently gets one is during the introduction of a new concept. Then it's pats, "good dogs", and a treat occasionally.

So I've been applying many of the same positive reinforcement to the kids. Zeke has been adamently AGAINST potty training. Wouldn't go near the potty. "I HATE the potty!" Despite the fact that ALL the parenting books warning on giving candy as a reward, I decided to give it a try.

Well, thanks to positive reinforcement and candy, he toilet-trained himself. IN ONE DAY. He was ready, finally. After a week of him pulling off every diaper--or coming to get changed the second he was finished, I told him that if he went potty on the potty, he would get candy.

Last night he ran around all night without pants. At least twice an hour, he ran to the potty, climbed up so that he was on hands and knees over the bowl, and went potty (or tried). Each time he came running to me, "I went potty. I want candy." Sure he had a sugar high and ran around like a maniac all night, but he crashed eventually.

Today he has mastered the pulling on and off of the pants. He is even phasing himself out of the candy phase. I am looking at the end of diapers--FOREVER!! (If I am ever lucky enough to be a grandparent, I will HAND THE BABY BACK!!!!)

Screw you Dr. Spock!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

just a short step from his girlfriend training him with sex later on in life ;)

4:42 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Nice job, girl, though you might have tried the clicker first! LOL

So nice of you to try to stop in! We will get a visit soon.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Zelda said...

Yeah, the parenting books are crap. They're better used as doorstops or emergency toilet paper. We tried candy with eldest, but it was ultimately peer pressure that worked best.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home