Friday, April 22, 2005

Last Laugh

I knew it would happen. I used to joke about it: punk chick’s kid is going to end up a football player. Well, former punk chick’s kid announced his intent to play football next year. Here we go.
It started innocently enough with basketball a few years ago. He enjoyed it. It gave him an outlet and some new friends. (Girls were included, I am betting!) I attended as many games as I could, remembering the longing I had for my own mother to attend the baseball games I played when I was 10.
This year he added wrestling. I was just beginning to understand basketball a bit. (They have different names for the players: point guard, etc. They all look like they run up and down the court and try to make baskets to me.) Well, let me tell you, wrestling is a mystery to the uninitiated. It involves throwing people down, that much I have figured out. Oh, and the pinning thing is pretty obvious. Otherwise, I’m pretty clueless. I sit in the stands and let my stomach clench in horror/anticipation as my son throws people around or is thrown around. 3min or less then it’s watching other kids. UGH. (Maybe if they had some cute coaches in the tight little suits things would be more interesting.)
After the wrestling season, he decided to run track. He says he doesn’t like it, but he came in 3rd in his first meet. He’s using it as an endurance preparation for next year’s football season. So, here I go, off to the track meets. At least I know what is going on! (And I’ll be able to take Barley!)
OH CRAP! I’m pretty certain I used to joke about him having a cheerleader girlfriend and I’m pretty sure fate has a really sick sense of humor. Maybe I can get them to dye their hair school colors. Looks like I’m off to stock the bathroom with hairspray.

2 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Don't feel bad, I was a hippie hitch hiker and mine grew up to be a truck driver.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Sascha said...

Hey, he could be hanging out at the local stoner chicks halfway house for punk rockers. There are worse things than cheerleaders chica!

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home