Thursday, December 29, 2005

FODDER for Crows

So disappointed.

Long ago, I made it a policy to NOT start a series until ALL of the books are finished.

(Harry Potter was an execption--I didn't think it was going to be "adult enough" to hook me. It is pure torment. The only joy is re-reading the series right before the new one comes out. The ending is always bittersweet because you know the next one won't arrive anytime soon.)

So, when a friend recommended George R R Martin's series, the hubster bit. He was extolling the virtues of the first book when I stole it. I assumed from the jacket it was a 3 book series and it was finished. I WAS WRONG. I zoomed through the series, realizing --with an ever growing horror--as I neared the end of the 3rd, that the series was in no way going to be finished by the end of this book. Oh, well. They were good. It would be worth it.

So we waited for the 4th--and supposedly final--book. We got each other a copy for Christmas. (My first EVER Christmas return!) We had heard before the release that it was going to turn into a 5 book series, because he just couldn't fit it all in. I expected the same "whirlwind" read, but at least some closure. What I got was fodder and filler. Vast introduction of new characters that don't seem to have much of a point. A mere mention of the passing of characters who looked to be REALLY interesting. Worse, I'm not sure that 50% of what did happen is even going to be relevant to the next book. Leaves me to suspect that he's drawing things out in a bid for more money. (If the book were worth the $30 I desperately paid for it, I wouldn't even begrudge him this...)

AND I'm really frustrated because the Hubster reads so slowly that I'm going to forget what even happened before he ever finishes!! I can't even talk to him about it. GRR.

It was like eating iceberg lettuce. I'm not satisfied. No nutritional value.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sascha said...

I'm sorry you were disappointed. I didn't think it sucked really. And it was announced ahead of time that they had to split the book up into two parts to make it a decent size. You can read what he said here if you want.

I'm going to have to go with, I liked it.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I am so proud of you! I gave instructions to put it in a page and you figured out you didn't need the brackets! You little techie!

I mean, Your Highness!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home