Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Comeuppance

I called my parents today and apologized for being 14. After he stopped laughing, my dad asked what my oldest was doing to prompt the apology. Mostly, it was being 14!
My mother especially appreciated hearing about her grandson's latest 'tude. She has been waiting for my comeuppance for years. I'm certain that I was probably as mouthy, arrogant, and generally maddening as The Teenager. I also KNOW that I was not as bad as she makes out. (To hear her tell it I snuck out every night to get drunk and high. Actually, I snuck out ONCE and got grounded so long that I never did it again. --It's a good story, I'll tell it sometime-- I never did get drunk or high while I lived at home.)
So here I am, on the other end. This was the age where I began to develop my poker face. (If you laugh while your psycho-Christian mother exorcises you, it JUST MAKES THINGS LONGER!) So I know that he's not listening. He's thinking about girls, sports, girls, or the way his friend threaded a gummy worm through his nose and out his mouth. I keep speaking because I know that SOME things do get through, occasionally. We even have meaningful conversation at times.
AHH, 14.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

It's a growing thing that people with no kids miss. They never really understand their parents like a child with kids does.

Happy Epiphany Day!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home