Monday, July 18, 2005

Gosh darn Harry Potter

When the Teenager was 10ish I was DEVASTATED by his indifference to reading. He could pretty much leave it. Goosebumps books came along and helped, but I think of them as the kid's equivalent to an adult's cheesey romance novel. Same plot over and over and over. No character development. BUT AT LEAST HE WAS READING. Frequently.

THEN came Harry Potter. He was immersed. He loved it. And the next four, waiting anxiously for each to be released. So came number 6. He said nothing, being a teen ager...but yesterday was his birthday (15), so we had a conversation a few days before that went something like this:

Me "What do you want for your birthday?"
T "Don' know" with shrug
Me "Do you want a party?"
T "No"
Me "Anything fun that you want to do?"
T shrug
Me "Hey, the new Harry Potter book is coming out soon. Are you even interested, or are you too old and cool?"
T-this got a smile "No, I want to read it."
Me "Well, you aren't getting it for your birthday because then I couldn't read it first."
T-a LAUGH!

So I have read it. It sucks starting a series that isn't completely finished. It's against my policy, I usually don't start. My thought here was "It's a kid's book, how much am I REALLY going to be crazed about the next one?"
BUNCHES! I did nothing yesterday until I finished. I did nothing after I finished because I was hormonal, emotional, tired (up 1/2 the night reading) and was tearful. The Hubster laughed and put in Tank Girl--which ALWAYS cheers me up.
So here I am, crazed for the next book--which could be the next century.
I FRIGGIN HATE HARRY POTTER!

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Don't feel bad, for Clan of the Cave Bear we had to wait YEARS for the 4th book and the 5th. STILL waiting for the 6th and it's been since 1982!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home