Saturday, July 02, 2005

Puppy love

I love my new puppy. He's the best dog in the world. I’ve noticed that when we visit the doggy park that other dogs aren’t nearly as well trained. I’m certain it is because I know that MY dog may reach 250 lbs and I know that I could not control him otherwise, but it has turned me into an elitist. I may be smiling at you when you say you can’t control your 90 lb lab, but really I’m thinking, “Be a responsible dog owner! All it takes is about 20 min. a day, a clicker, and some good treats!” (And REALLY, if you don’t have 20 min a day for your dog, YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE A DOG!)
My 16 week old puppy knows “come” (even with other doggy distractions—I’m so PROUD!), “sit”, “leave it”, “down”, “off”, “go to your crate”, and “stay”. (Stay is a work in progress.) Most of these he’s had for several weeks. He’s been housebroken since about 10 weeks old. (I DO need to clicker him into going to a distant corner of the yard every time. Those mountains aren’t fun to step in!)
Things are going well. He’s really laid-back, sweet and eager to please. He fits right in to our family. Often the kids fall asleep near or on him. I find that I like having him around so much that I plan only trips where he can come. I’m pretty sold on this breed from this experience and recommend it highly (IF you have time to commit to being a responsible pet owner.) My only gripe is very minimal and fixable (once we have mastered the basics.) HE DROOLS! Giant rivers of drool, especially after he drinks. Currently, we just wipe his face after a drink and the problem is minimized. After he has all the basic commands, I am going to train him to wipe his own face after a drink. God bless the clicker!

3 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

How about some links to clicker training? Never used it but have had heard good things about it.

I like mastiffs. I saw a silver blue one that was beautiful.

Want puppy to get along with other dogs? Bring him down! My dogs are usually good with others, especially pups, after about 20 minutes of letting them know their place.

Bring kids and mate, too, if you want. Haven't seen eldest boy since he had green hair.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Madzillah said...

www.clickerlessons.com has really good instructions as well as the theory behind it.

We'd love to stop by sometime. Barley used to just roll over to those alphas, but lately he has realized that he towers over some. (Strange, cuz our neighbor's 5 lb dog still dominates him!)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

They are so easy to love when they aren't little terrors. :)

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home