Wednesday, May 18, 2005

God bless the Freaks

Parent Teacher conference. I was gone on an extended work trip at the beginning of the school year, so I don't know the teachers well this year. I also haven't seen many of The Teenager's old classmates. After one conference, I exited the room to a gothlet eying me with familiarity. The teacher greeted her with her name and I just about fell over: one of the Teenager's old classmates who I had absolutely loved in elementary school! Smart little girl. Now a blue haired freaklet! YAY! Couldn't help it, I blurted out how beautiful she was. (She is!) Probably embarrassed her to death.

Since my own mother despaired over me when I was a blue haired freaklet (exorcisms included), I told her mom that the freaklet would grow out of it. I realized later that this wasn't entirely true, nor did I want it to be.

My non-conformist attitude helped me on this path and I really like myself today: creative, smart, and highly motivated. Successful.

Those punk rock days helped shape me through adversity. Without them, I wouldn't have grown in this direction.

I haven't grown out of it; it shapes my every day and every decision. I just don't have an outward display anymore. I actually think it's pretty neat because I haven't conformed even to non-conformity.

SO, Blue Haired Chiclet, what I really meant was that you WILL grow. Not necessarily "out of it". If you don't, I'm going to hunt you down; because you are a smart girl and I like you. Because the alternative is to be a statistic and part of the system; the very thing you are trying to avoid now. Because if you don't it will break my heart. Because I don't want you to stagnate. I want you to enjoy life, but I want you to be successful, too. Because I still would have blue hair if I could. (I DO have a funny story on how I recently dyed my hair a color between Lucille Ball and Ronald McDonald. It was an accident, I SWEAR!)

The path you have chosen can suck you in. Trust me, when it spits you out you will not be pretty. Mangled and used up. A mutation, possibly malignant. Make certain that YOU are controlling your path and it is not controlling you. (If you want examples, let me know, I'll introduce you.) KEEP USING YOUR BRAIN. Neglect and drugs destroy it.

Now, make sure you stop by. I have some blue hair dye that I can't use anymore. I'll even help you put it in if you want.

(Maybe she can help me find my nose ring!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Now you are aware you are different inside than the persona you present to the work world try to find out how many of your co workers are goths and hippies inside. It will make an interesting mystery investigation for you. When you are done there, check the neighbors!

It's a riot to find out the "bitch" you work with is, in reality, not a jock cheerleader or sorority chick but a Rocky Horror Goth freak or an herb growing hippie. You make new friends and get reminded not to judge people by their appearances.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Jesster said...

The word "Gothlet" made me laugh out loud! Awesome word. :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

hey, what's happening? Where'd you go?

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home