Sunday, May 15, 2005

Barley dog

The puppy has been here for over a week. I'm tired. New baby tired.
Not too many SURPRISES. He usually gives us a warning that he needs to go, but it requires that I sleep near him on the couch. He warns at least three times a night. (Despite his size, he has a bladder of a walnut.) One of those times requires a wait of 15 min. while he decides where the grass needs to die on the lawn...

He's already 1/2 way through a 40 lb bag of dog food in his quest to rival his papa (250 lbs). The breeder told me he'd be gaining 5 lbs a week, SHE WASN'T WRONG! (And believe me, we are not encouraging him to grow more quickly!) Last night, in an attempt to eliminate the 15 min. night deposit, I removed the food bowl before I went to sleep. At the 5 am whining, I took him out, gave him a chewy for the hunger pangs and settled back to sleep. At 7 am I awoke to dog sleeping peacefully near the couch. NO 15 min. outdoor poop wait! YAY, method worked?

Gave him the food bowl, but he didn't tear immediately in. HMMM, Curious. Went upstairs (blocked off and off limits to dog) and discovered that, despite the fact he didn't see me put the CAT food up there and the stairs were blocked, there had been a doggie visit. The damage was not only to the cat food, but the kid's rug.... At least he's not dumb.

2 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

:) He will be your best friend soon!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We really NEED this at my house right now! Please count me in! I follow your blogs :)

http://petsupplies.allnutri.com/barley-dog_pid2.html

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home