Friday, January 20, 2006

A peek behind the curtain

The lights went on.

I figured out what my BIG TRAINING is all about. It's a peek behind the curtain so that when I am on stage, I understand my lines and the other characters. It's pretty exciting.

The big meeting went well. I respect my supervisors even more for dealing with my OLD bosses. (It was cheap shot day. Boy, were they distributing the rounds!) I am once again glad I chose to leave them to come over where I am now. Then, today, I helped the project director on their work plan. It was an illuminating process looking at every word and anticipating EVERY possible meaning.

AND I am watching a MASTER at this! Gods, the director is good! I have read a few books to prepare (Getting to Yes and Dealing with People You Can't Stand). It was almost like I could pull an example from the books and applying it to that meeting. It was pretty impressive. I think he covered every chapter!

What's really neat is how my hobby and my career are paralleling each other. I look at them both as a game. Who wins is determined by how well I think, communicate, and understand group dynamics; the stakes are just higher at one table.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

If the books will help us not kill someone you should link to them on amazon or the library card sys..LOL.

Games are played in life but life is not a game...

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home